Sunday, April 5, 2009

** Spring Freeze **

Darn. A hard freeze. That is something us plant and tree lovers never want to hear. My lilac bushes are one of my favorite shrubs to see bloom...being right by my front windows and front door, they give my whole house that Spring smell for many weeks. My grandmas peonies and hostas are my main concern and the highest priority to save. They are already covered and ready for bed in hopes that the hard freeze will not find them. With lots of work and many blankets...I hope to soon have some amazing pictures of my beautiful flowers in the next few months. Please say a prayer that it does not get as cold as they are forecasting.

STRONG WINDS CONTINUE TO USHER MUCH COLDER AIR INTO THE REGION... AND ARE EXPECTED TO DROP TEMPERATURES TO BELOW THE FREEZING MARK FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OVERNIGHT. WITH AN EARLY BLOOMING DATE ACROSS MOST OF EXTREME EAST CENTRAL KANSAS AND CENTRAL MISSOURI... FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO TENDER VEGETATION. SENSITIVE TREE BLOOMS WILL BE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE... AS TEMPERATURES DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S FOR SEVERAL HOURS. SUB FREEZING TEMPERATURES MAY ALSO LEAD TO SEVERE DAMAGE TO OTHER TYPES OF PLANT LIFE WHICH ARE LEFT UNPROTECTED.
EVEN COLDER NIGHTTIME TEMPERATURES ARE LIKELY MONDAY NIGHT... WITH A SECOND HARD FREEZE EXPECTED IN THE AREA.

1 comment:

  1. Baby...if those plants don't make it with the tender loving care you're giving them, then nothing will!

    Hey! Are those your babies' blankets???? LOL

    My prayers are with you, and your precious young buds. They are in good hands!!

    ReplyDelete